Tuesday 23 July 2013

Vegan Recipe of the Week - Organic Saag Aloo



A couple of weeks ago I got my first organic veg box delivered to my home (more about this in a future post) and in the box were lots of baby new potatoes, onions and a huge bag of spinach. 


So I decided to try my hand at a favourite Indian side dish - Saag Aloo. I couldn't believe how easy it was to make, so this week I am sharing my recipe with you. I also ended up taking some along to my friend's vegan birthday party and everybody commented on how nice it was. Easy vegan Indian cooking! Simple.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp (T) sunflower oil
1 large or 2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp (T) ginger chopped or 1.5 tsp (t) ground ginger
500g potatoes, diced with skins on
1 large red chilli, deseeded and sliced
0.5 tsp (t) each of cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and turmeric
1 tsp (t) garam masala or curry powder
200g spinach leaves
salt
water

Method:

Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the potatoes, chilli, salt and spices and stir fry for 5 minutes.


Add a little water, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
When the potatoes are ready, wilt the spinach into the pan.


Serve as a side dish to your favourite vegan curry, rice and poppadoms, or as part of an Indian buffet of salads, vegan riata, pakoras, bahjis and samosas.




Check back next Tuesday for the next recipe from the summer garden party post - Chickpea and Potato Curry. 

Enjoy!
VVx


No comments:

Post a Comment